Functional medicine is a patient centered, individualized approach to wellness using many different tools to create a patient’s care plan and seeks to identify and address the root causes of disease. It treats the whole system, not just the symptoms.
Things you need to know about evidence based functional medicine:
- Lifestyle education plays an essential role in an individualized plan
- Nutrition – dietary and botanicals, homeopathics, vitamins and minerals can positively impact the health of the individual
- Exercise – aerobics, stretching and flexibility, yoga
- Mind/Body/Spirit techniques – meditation, prayer, biofeedback
So how does functional medicine evaluate what may be the causative factor(s) when the body is imbalanced?
- Serum testing – genetic/cardiovascular markers, digestive issues, heavy metal/toxic chemical /mold exposure, food allergies, sensitivities
- Urine testing – hormone/adrenal and neurotransmitter testing
- Stool testing – Leaky Gut, Celiac, SIBO, IBS, Chron’s, Colitis
These are some of the most common tools used to evaluate through functional medicine. There are many dynamic tools to employ when treating each individual.
Evidence based functional medicine does not use cookbook techniques to treat. We look at all the possible causes and formulate a treatment with the agreement of each patient to be involved and active in their healing process.
At Lotus Path, we develop individual treatment plans for our clients.